At WWDC20 on Monday Apple released the new macOS Big Sur 10.16. macOS Big Sur introduces numerous new features and an outstanding redesign that is entirely new yet instantly familiar. The most notice feature you may notice are included below.
What’s New in the macOS Big Sur?
Refined User Interface
- Updated menu bar
- Floating Dock
- New icons for apps
- Lighter window appearance
- New and updated sounds
- Full-height sidebars
- New symbols throughout macOS
New and customizable Control Center will give more over your computer and performance.
The new and fresh notification center allows you to put all you notifications into one single column. Besides, it also includes Interactive notifications to do more with notification. For example, reply to emails, listen to podcast, and even expand a Calendar invitation to see where the event falls in your day.
It is said that the new Safari better optimized and perform 50 percent faster than Google Chrome. Other new features include:
- A new Privacy toolbar button that can show web trackers and also display a full privacy report
- Built-in translation tools
- More customizations to the start page
- Robust support for Extensions, and time-based Extensions control
- Redesigned tabs
Basically, Apple have used Mac Catalyst to convert the iOS version of Messages to a macOS version. Therefore, the new Message will allow you to pin single or multiple conversation and search all your past messages for links, photos, and phrases.
Apple said that the new version of Maps started with the iOS version, which was converted using Mac Catalyst. New features include:
- The ability to save locations as Favorites
- Guides for places
- Cycling routes
- Electric vehicle routing
- Congestion zones
- License plate restrictions
- Indoor maps
- Look Around, which shows eye-level photography of a location
- The ability to monitor a person’s commute
MacOS Big Sur Compatibilities:
Now that macOS Big Sur 10.16 is officially released many would intend to give it a shoot. But as always this year some modeles are excluded from supporting list.
The mac modeles below will support macOS Big Sur 10.16. If you are listed, then you are among the unlucky ones.
- MacBook, 2015 and later
- MacBook Air, 2013 and later
- MacBook Pro, late 2013 and later
- Mac Mini, 2014 and later
- iMac, 2014 and later
- iMac Pro (all models), 2017 and later
- Mac Pro, 2013 and later
Steps to Download and Install macOS Big Sur Beta
Step #1: Backup your data
Since macOS Big Sur 10.16 is in developing phase and pretty unstable, it is very essential to backup your entire data to an external drive. For this purpose you can the Time Machine to make a backup for your data on an external drive.
- Connect an external hard drive to your mac.
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Select System Preferences from the dropdown menu.
- Select Time Machine in the System Preferences window.
- Turn the Time Machine slider On.
- Click Select Backup Disk and choose the disk you’d like to use.
- Time Machine will format the hard drive for backups and start within two minutes.
However, if you don’t want or have an external hard drive to backup your data, you can use the available Clouds, as iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive and more.
Step #2: How to Download macOS Big Sur Developer Beta
Downloading macOS Big Sur developer beta is straight forward and easy. Simply open your and:
- Visit developer.apple.com on your Mac.
- Click on the Discover tab.
- Next, click on the macOS tab.
- Click Download.
- Log in with your developer account if prompted to do so.
- Scroll down and click on the Install Profile button for macOS Big Sur. The file will automatically download to your Mac.
- Open your Downloads window and select macOS Big Sur Developer Beta Access Utility.
- Double-click macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.pkg to run the installer.
Once you are done with the downloading, System Preferences will automatically check for an update to macOS. Click Update to download and install the developer beta software.
It is also worth mentioning that the developer beta update may take couple of hours, since it is a large file size.
Step #3: How to Install the macOS Big Sur Developer Beta
Once everything is ready the installation process is done as normal, and you will see prompted notification to install the software automatically.
- Now Click on Continue.
- Agree to Apple’s Terms and Conditions.
- Click on Install.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install macOS Big Sur.
Your Mac may reboot to install macOS Big Sur several time. Therefore, make sure to keep calm and wait till the installation is completed.
Step #4: How to get started with the macOS Big Sur Developer Beta
To get started with the macOS Big Sur, you have to follow a couple of steps to get started.
- Click on Continue.
- Sign in with your Apple ID and password.
- Click on Get Started.
Congregations, you did it- Now Start digging now
To install macOS Big Sur beta, first you are to go to developer.apple.com and download macOS Big Sur. Once everything is ready proceed to installation. The installation quiet simple as a normal installation.