In this article i will show you how you can dual boot Fedora with macOS Catalina?
Fedora is a free open source Linux based distribution, and it designed and developed by community supported Fedora Project. This community include Red Hat which is an American software company that provides open source software, and other supporting companies.
Since its first release in 2003 there five different version of Fedora:
- Workstation which focus on the personal computer
- Server focused on servers
- CoreOS focused on cloud computing
- SilverBlue which focused on an immutable desktop specialized
- IoT focused on IoT devices
It is estimated that Fedora Project updates its product in 6-8 months. These updates include UI enhancement and performance acceleration.
Moreover, according to Search Data Center Fedora is the second most famous and commonly used Linux distribution after Ubuntu. It is also worth mentioning that Fedora is an advanced technology and it is mostly used by experts.
Key Features of Fedora:
- Good power management
- Virtual Desktop Support
- Good End-user Software
- Dynamic Firewall
- RPM Package manager
Back up your entire data:
Before we go to the main points it is very essential to make a back up from data on your existing hard drive on an external hard drive. Thus, you can use Time Machine which is mac utility to back your data on an external drive.
In addition, if you have an external NTFS drive, and you want to use as back source for your data read here the 5 ways to transfer data on external NTFS drive.
Essential for you: How to Install and Dual Boot Ubuntu on macOS Catalina?
Things you need to dual boot Fedora and with macOS Catalina:
1: Fedora Workstation ISO
Fedora Workstation is a free OS and it is claimed to be free forever. Now the first thing you need is to download Fedora workstation ISO file from its official website. Click here and you will be redirected to Fedora official.
2: Fedora Media Writer:
The second important thing you need is Fedora Media Writer. This is a free utility tool which is used to create Fedora Workstation bootable USB installer. Beside Fedora Media Writer there are different ways you can use for this purpose, but the easiest method is to use the Fedora Media Writer. download here
3: USB Stick:
The third thing need is to prepare a USB flash drive. Thus, any sort flash drive can work as far as it has at least 16GB of free space.
Steps to dual boot Fedora and with macOS Catalina:
Step #1: Make a partition for Fedora:
The very first step is to make a separate partition for Fedora on your existing hard drive. To do so, go to disk utility and select the internal hard dive, then
- Click on partition button in the navigation toolbar
- Use the [+] sign to shrink the hard drive and add a partition of at least 25GB.
- For Fedora partition leave the name as “untitled”, format “MacOS Extended (Journaled)” and size “25GB”
- Then click Apply > Partition> Continue
Learn more: How to Dual Boot Kali Linux on macOS Catalina?
Step #2: Create Fedora bootable USB installer:
As I mentioned before, you need Fedora Media Writer app to create Fedora Workstation bootable USB installer drive. If you have not yet downloaded Fedora Media Writer click here to download, then follow the steps below.
- Install and open Fedora Media Writer
- Select “Custom Image” from the list, then browse the Fedora Workstation ISO
- Choose your USB drive and click on “Write to Disk”
This process will take couple of minutes depending your system speed.
Step #3: Install Fedora Workstation on macOS Catalina:
If everything is prepared until, you are ready to dual boot Fedora Workstation and macOS Catalina. Therefore, for that restart your mac and hold down the [Option Key] while the system reboots. This will take you to the boot manager menu. On boot menu:
- Select “Fedora Media” option from the boot manager menu
- Choose the proper drive
- Select “Automatic configure partitioning” and click “Done” when the installation options appear
- Choose Reclaim Space
- Now select the hfs+ “Fedora Workstation” volume you created for Fedora Workstation, and click the “Delete” Button (make sure not to select Delete)
- Click Reclaim space button to accept changes, and then return to the main menu
- Next, Click Begin Installation
It is going to take about 10-15 minutes to complete the installation. until then make sure to connect your mac to a power source, and do not turn off your system.
How you can switch between macOS Catalina and Fedora workstation?
Basically, there are two ways you can switch between macOS Catalina and Fedora workstation.
- Open System Preferences, then Startup Disk and select the OS you wish to use to start up the Mac and click Restart.
- Restart your mac and hold down the [Option Key] while it reboots. Now you may see both macOS and Fedora, select any of them you wish to start up and press enter key.
This was all about how you can install and dual boot Fedora with macOS Catalina on any mac system including MacBook, iMac or Mac mini. Please remember to make a back up of your entire data from your existing internal hard drive to an external drive or cloud.
I hope this article help, if you got any question leave it in the comment box below. I will be in touch with you as soon as possible.