In this tutorial will i show you the proven steps to create a Windows To Go on Mac, that will support both on mac and windows PC.
However, when it comes to install and run Windows on a mac, there are several ways you can use. E.g., you can use build-in-mac bootcamp software, Virtual machines or installing Windows on mac natively without bootcamp. These are the common method used to install Windows on mac, previously.
But do know the biggest issue with these methods?
Well, when you try to install Windows on a mac, you will need to shrink the internal hard drive, and make a separate partition for Windows. This mean trouble, and you may run out of space anything if you are not having an internal hard drive with larger amount of space.
On the other hand, if you use a virtual machine to install Windows on a mac, again it may not be convenient If you’re running a graphics intensive program or games. Because with virtualization, some of your CPU & memory resources has to run macOS and some has to run Windows.
But what if you install Windows on a portable USB Drive?
This method has gain popularity in recent years, it is used wildly by mac users to use Windows 10 on mac. And this method is called “Windows To Go”
In other terms “Windows To Go” is the direct installation of Windows on a USB or external hard drive without using bootcamp assistance.
Enough talking, let get into steps you can use to create Windows To Go on Mac.
Required Apps and Software:
- 20GB+ USB or Hard Drive
- Windows 10 ISO File
- VMware Fusion/ VirtualBox
- WinToUSB App
Steps to Create Windows To Go on Mac:
1: Format the USB or External Hard Drive
Plug your USB or hard drive, then go to disk utility and erase it as following.
- Name: Windows 10
- Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled)
- Scheme: GUID Partition Map
Remove your USB or hard drive after it is erased.
Don’t miss to download Final Cut Pro 10.4.8 Full Crack [Limited Time]
2: Download Microsoft Windows 10 ISO File
The first thing you need is Windows 10 ISO File. Basically, you can download the full-size Windows 10 ISO from the Microsoft webpage, and does not cost you as you download. But you may require to activate the Windows later. Download here.
3: Download Windows Support Software via BootCamp:
To make your Windows run conveniently you need to download essential Windows Support Software via BootCamp. this software contains but limited to graphics, sounds, WIFI, ethernet, USB support…
To download these support software, open BootCamp Assistance then choose “Action” on the top mini bar, and click on “Download Windows Support Software”
4: Download and Install VMware Fusion
VMware Fusion a virtualization tool, used to install to separate operating systems on single system virtually. Of course, it is not the only but one of the best software you can use to install Windows 10 on a mac. However, if want to use VirtualBox to create Windows To Go on a mac, read here.
Once you downloaded the VMware Fusion, follow the instruction provided below
Essential for you: How to Create macOS Catalina Bootable USB Installer on Windows PC [+Video]
5: Configure VMware Fusion and Install Windows 10
- Double-click on dmg after the download is completed
- Click open if asked
- Enter you administrator password, and click ok
- Select agree
- Go with “I want to try VMware Fusion for 30 days”, and click continue
- Put in your email and select “Try VMware Fusion”, then click continue
- Enter you administrator password again, and click done
- Select “Install from disc or image”, then click continue
- Now, simply drag Windows 10 ISO image over the landing area, and click continue
- Setup a password if you want to.
- From drop down menu select your Windows version (mine is Windows 10 Pro), then click continue
- Go with “Continue Without Key”
- Choose “More Isolated”, and click continue
- Finally click “finish” then “save”
You are done!
It is going to take a while to install Windows 10 on mac.
Learn more: How to Install macOS Catalina on an Unsupported Mac [Right Now]
6: Download and Install WinToUSB App on Windows 10
After everything is prepared, click here to download WinToUSB software, then install it on Windows 10 you installed on mac virtually in step 4.
7: Install Windows 10 on USB or External Hard Drive
- Here first drag and drop WinToUSB app and Windows Support files on windows 10 desktop.
- Reconnect the USB or external drive to your mac, and choose “Connect to Windows”. This will open the external drive on Windows 10.
- Right-click on Windows 10 start menu, and select “Disk Management”. Then you should see the USB or external drive.
- Again right-click on your external drive or USB, and choose “Delete Volume” then click “Yes”. And will have an unallocated volume.
- Next, right-click on “Unallocated Volume” and select “New Simple Volume” then click next three times.
- Select NTFS for the system file, then set a name for your drive. Click next > finish
- Now, go to Virtual Machine on the mini bar, then CD/DVD (SATA), and select “Choose Disc or Disk Image”, then browse for Windows 10 ISO, and click open
- Once again go back to Virtual Machine on the mini bar, then CD/DVD (SATA), and select “Connect CD/DVD”. This will mount Windows 10 disk image.
- Now, Install WinToUSB app
- Open WinToUSB after installation, then form lists select the second CD icon, and from drop down menu select Windows disk image. Here choose your windows 10 edition. Click next
- For destination desk select your external drive or USB
- Select both EFI and boot partition, then choose “legacy” for installation mode. And click next
You are done!
It may take a couple of minutes and Windows To Go will be ready.
- Lastly, open the USB or external drive and copy the Windows Support Software folder then paste it in USB or external drive.
Don’t miss: Download macOS Catalina dmg File [Direct Links]
How You Can Boot Windows 10 from External or USB drive?
Well, there are two ways you can boot windows from USB or external drive.
- Go to “System preference” then “Startup Disk” and choose windows 10 and click on restart button
- Restart your mac and hold down the “Option Key” white it reboots. Then select Windows 10 from the list, and press enter key
In order to create Windows To Go on mac, the first thing you need is a virtual machine such as VMware. This will allow to install Windows 10 on virtual machine. Once you got windows on VM the next step is to install WinToUSB on Windows 10 on VMware, then though this piece of software you will be able to create Windows To Go on mac.