In this practical tutorial i am going to show you how you can install macOS Big Sur on an external drive. The process to install macOS Big Sur on an external drive is pretty easy and does not require any special knowledge of macOS. Furthermore, for the sake of our users, we have made as much understandable as possible. It is furthermore worth mentioning that you can also use a USB to install macOS Big Sur on UBS Drive.
So, without further due let’s get started
How to Install macOS Big Sur on an External Drive?
As i mentioned it is an easy process , and the only thing you need to prepare is an external drive or USB stick. if you use an external disk It doesn’t matter whether it is Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or Solid-State Drive (SSD). Whereas, if intend to install macOS Big Sur on USB drive, you will need to make sure it is a USB 3.0
But remember, if you use a HDD storage, then speed isn’t something coming your way. As a result macOS Big Sur will take longer to boot up, applications will load in delay, and files will take longer to open and save. Therefore, it is recommended to use a Solid-State Drive or USB type C or Thunderbolt 3, and basically it will boost your workflow in many ways.
Step #1: Download macOS Big Sur installer or dmg.
The very first thing you need is download a copy of macOS Big Sur 11.0. Since it is in beta version and only paid developer accounts can download it from Apple.com. but if do not have a developer account we have provided the direct links to download it without any further cost and developer account.
Step #2: Prepare and Erase the External Drive
The next thing you need is to prepare an external drive or USB with free space. Since this process is going to erase the entire drive, make sure to keep a backup of your stored on external drive or your USB disk. Once everything is ready the next step is to erase the drive properly so it can be used to install macOS Big Sur on an external drive.
So, head straight forward to Disk Utility and select the external drive and format it as following.
- Name: macOS Big Sur
- Format: MacOS Extended (journaled)
- Scheme: GUID Partition Map
Now click erase and your disk will be ready to install macOS Big Sur.
- How to Clean Install macOS Big Sur 11.0
- Create macOS Big Sur USB Installer for Clean Installation?
- How to Install macOS Big Sur on VMware on Windows PC?
- How to Install macOS Big Sur on VirtualBox on Windows PC?
Step #3: Install macOS Big Sur on the External Drive
Once everything is prepared as we discussed, you are ready to install macOS Big Sur on external hard drive or in other word create macOS Big Sur To Go.
- Open the finder window, and go to the folder where you downloaded macOS Big Sur.
- Double-click on macOS Big Sur installer
- Click continue to set up the installation of macOS Big Sur
- Agree to the software license agreement.
- Now choose your external drive from the list. Do not click on internal drive as you don’t want to install on your main internal drive.
- Now Click Install and It may take to install macOS on the external drive.
Step #4: Run macOS Big Sur from External Drive
Now that you have installed macOS Big Sur on an external drive, the next thing you may want to do is boot macOS Big Sur form the external drive or USB disk. Mainly, there are two ways you can run macOS from an external drive.
- Go to System Preferences, then choose Startup Disk and select the external drive you wish to use to start up the Mac and click Restart.
- Restart your mac and hold down the ‘Option Key’ while it restarts. Now on macOS boot menu you may see the macOS Big Sur installed on the drive. Select the drive and press enter key and you mac will boot form the external drive or USB disk.
Want to get enrolled in top universities and colleges? check here
To install macOS Big Sur on external drive or USB drive, you will need to download macOS Big Sur installer, then prepare and erase the drive with macOS extended Journaled and GUID partition map. Once these steps are done, connect you drive and use the macOS big Sur installer or dmg to install it on your drive.
I hope you find this article useful. please make sure to share it with your own community.