Exclusive and Definitive Instructions on “How to Download and Install macOS 10.15 Catalina on VirtualBox on Windows PC”
Recently Apple unveiled a bunch of new products and software updates on 3rd June, 2019 at WWDC 2019. Together with iPadOS, TVOS and IOS the the macOS upgraded to macOS 10.15 Catalina. MacOS 10.15 Catalina has numerous updates regarding features and operating functionalities. The most commons features are listed below.
- Apple Music App
- Apple TV App
- Apple Reminder App makeover
- Apple Account and Family Sharing App
- Exculpation of iTune from Mac
At the moment macOS 10.15 Catalina beta1 which is avilable only for developer accounts and public beta is avilable. However, the final edition is expected to be released late 2019 where it will be fully stable.
Install MacOS 10.15 Catalina on VirtualBox on Windows 10
The macOS 10.15 Catalina beta-1 and public beta is pretty unstable. If you intend to do clean installation make sure you backup your data before trying.
However, for installing macOS Catalina virtually, you do not need a backup. Because virtual machine cruahes will not harm your data.
Required Files and Softwares:
- VirtualBox Extension Pack
- macOS 10.15 Catalina VMDK File
- WinRar or 7Zip
1. Download VirtualBox
VirtualBox is an essential virtual machine to create two operating system run parallel to each other. Therefore, this will allow you to share files and data betwwen to different operating system and much more. The procedure of installing Virtualbox is pretty simple like all other Windows softwares.
2. Download VirtualBox Extension Pack:
This basically give you a software support. Some times you may come accross USB errors or Keyboard errors and the VirtualBox Extension Pack allows your get raid of these errors. Thus, i highly recommanded you to install Virtualbox Extension togather with virtualbox machine.
3. Download MacOS Catalina 10.15 VMDK files
It is important to download macOS 10.15 Cataline Virtual Image (macOS Catalina 10.15 VMDK Files) in order to install macOS 10.15 Cataline on VirtualBox on your Windows PC. Please remember that you will find two types of the image and only the HFS (HSF stands for Hierachical Files System) is supported by virtualbox. Whereas if you intend to use the APFS image (APFS stands for Apple File System) than a extra bootloader will be required to proceed. Therefore it is advised to go with HSF Image file.
Download macOS Catalina VMDK Files (Virtual Image) for VirtualBox from the links below.
- Drive One: Download Link (one full)
- Drive Two: Download Link (one full)
- Mediafire: Download Link (one full)
Step One: Install VirtualBox on Windows PC
After you downloaded the VirtualBox the first step is to install it. Installing VirtualBox is pretty easy and simple and there is no difficult complications. It is done the same as other softwares on Windows on PC.
Step Two: Install VirtualBox Extension Pack
This is not a very difficult procedure. simply locate where you downloaded the VirtualBox Extension Pack and then double click to install it. Remember, it is essential to install VirtualBox extension pack before creating virtual machine (VM) otherwise you end up with complicated errors such as Mouse error, USB error and Keyboard errors. After you installed the Extension Pack you may be proceed to the next step.
Step Three: Extract MacOS Catalina 10.15 VMDK
The third step is to extract the downloaded MacOS 13.15 Catalina VMDK File. Simply locate or find the macOS 13.15 Catalina where it is downloaded and then extract it with free WinRar or any other software you use for this purpose.
if you don’t have WinRar software, download it within the link below.
Step Four: Create New Virtual Machine
For this purpose open or run the installed VirtualBox then Click New to create a new Virtual Machine and choose a name, location, type and version as following:
- Name: MacOS 10.15 Catalina
- Location: Drive C
- Type: MacOS X
- Version: MacOS X (64-bit)
Click Next when it is done.
Step Five: Choose Memory Size
- In this step you need to confirm the amount of RAM you want to use or dedicate to the virtual machine. Moreover, the RAM for the virtual machine has to be higher then two gig. Otherwise it may result a slow or weak performacne during experiment. And click next.
Step Six: Select Hard Disk
- Now you have locate the extracted macOS 10.15 Catalina by choosing the “use an exiting virtual hard desk file” and then click create where you will directed to edit the virtual machine you have created now.
- Read: How to Install macOS Catalina on MacBook Pro And Air
- Read: Download MacOS Catalina Virtual Image for VMware and VirtualBox
- Read: Create Bootable MacOS USB installer Drive
- Read: How to Jailbreak IOS 13.0 Without a Computer
Step Seven: Edit Virtual Machine Settings
Here you have to edit the Virtual Machine as appropirate you have created. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Edit Floppy: Go to Setting => System => Motherboard, then only uncheck the Floppy check box.
2. Edit Processor: Go to Setting => System => Processor, then increase the number of processor to two core.
3. Edit Video Memory: Go to Setting => Display => Screen, then increase video memory to max.
4. Edit USB: Go to Setting => Display => USB Tab, then choose the third option USB 3.0 (xHCI) controller.
Step Eight: Add Command Codes to Command Prompt (CMD)
1. To add the codes on cmd you have to completely exit the Virtual Machine. Otherwise it will not work at all.
To do so, go to File Menu on the upper left corner on VirtualBox, then at the end click Exit.
2. Now you need to bring some changes on the codes. For this purpose open the notepad and paste the following provided codes on the notepad as shown in the in pictures below. On the notepad, go to Edit Tap => Replace and replace the word “Your VM Name” with the name of your virtual machine created before by you.
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "Your VM Name" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple" VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
New Codes for VirtualBox: Download Link
3. Time to paste the code on CMD. Again open the cmd as administrator, then paste the codes.
Remember to paste the codes line by line separately on cmd and press enter each time you paste the code. If you paste all the codes tougher on cmd it will not work.
Step Nine: Install MacOS 10.15 Catalina
The very last step is to install macOS 10.15 Catalina on VirtualBox. To do so,
- Open or the virtual machine you created and you will be directed to the macOS 10.15 Catalina welcome window. Then Select your language and location properly.
- Now choose the option “Do not transfer my information to this Mac”.
- Then you will be required to enter your Apple ID if available otherwise select the option “I will go local account without an Apple ID”.
- The next step is to Agree to terms and conditions and then Create a User Account for your macOS 10.15 Catalina.
- Now select whether the Dark or the Light theme you want your to macOS look.
- The last step is Continue to the Express Set Up window.
And you are done!
Troubleshoot: How to Fix Mouse and Keyboard Stuck on macOS Catalina?
As i said at the beginning of this article, in order to avoid mouse or keyboard errors you have to install VirtualBox Extension Pack.
However, if you have forgotten to install VirtualBox Extension Pack and your computer mouse and keyboard does not function correctly, then follow the instructions below to fix these problems.
Step 1: On your computer browser, search for the VirtualBox official webpage and download the latest version of VirtualBox Extension Pack.
Step 2: Now open the VirtualBox and go “File Menu” and then open “Preferences“
Step 3: Next, go “Extensions” then click on “Add Package” and find the VirtualBox Extensions Pack where you downloaded and click “Open“. As shown below.
Step 4: In the final step click “Install” then agree to “Terms and Conditions” to install VirtualBox Extensions Pack.
Now your mouse and keyboard should be working.
But If you have still the same problem and your mouse and keyboard is not working as it should, then you need to change the version of macOS. if you don’t know how to do it follow the instructions below.
- Launch the VirtualBox and go to “Setting” and then “General“
- Now, change the macOS Version to MacOS X (64bit) and press OK
Congregates! You have done it successfully.
I hope you find this article (How to Install MacOS Catalina on VirtualBox On Windows PC) useful. If you are looking for an other alternative I have a separate article about Installing macOS Catalina 10.15 on VMware On Windows PC in the link below. Moreover, if you got any sort of question or feedback leave in the comment box below. It would be pleasure answering you.